14 easy steps to performing file restoration with Datto SIRIS
Performing File Restoration With Datto SIRIS made easy.
Backing up your data is the first step. Restoring your data is critical. With Datto SIRIS, restoring your data from any backed up point in time is very simple and reliable. This blog post covers the steps for performing file restoration with Datto SIRIS.
1. First connect to the Datto SIRIS device’s local web console.
2. Select which of the Protected Systems in which the File Restoration is needed
3. Click on this Protected System’s “Hostname – OS Version” as shown in the example below to view further options.
4. From the further options that drop down select “Access recovery points”
5. This will load all of the Recovery Points which are available locally on the Datto SIRIS for this Protected System.
6. Select the button “File Restore” for the recovery point in which the restoration is needed.
7. This will start the process which mounts the Recovery Point as a public and browse-able share on the SIRIS.
8. The recovery point mounting process typically takes several seconds and when it completes Firefox will automatically refresh the browser to display that it is mounted.
9. A mounted recovery point on a SIRIS device can be further accessed by two methods.
- The first method which is also the most commonly method is to simply click on it’s hyperlink which appears in the SIRIS web console. This method is ideal for tasks such as manual backup integrity verification testing or performing restoration of a single file.
- The second method is to use the UNC Share path provided in the SIRIS Web Console to browse to the SIRIS’s SMB share.
Please Note: In many situations there may not be a DNS record of the SIRIS device as recommended configuration is to not join the SIRIS to the a domain. In these cases simply replace the SIRIS host-name with it’s IP.
Tip: Since the SMB share is public and browse-able you can simply use a shortened UNC path which will display any currently accessible shares on theSIRIS: \\SirisHostName or \\ IP.of.Siris.Device
10. Once the file restoration has completed the recovery point should be unmounted which may be done so by returning to the Agent List.
11. From the list of Protected Machines proceed as done in Step #4 to access the recovery points.
12. Locate the Mounted Recovery Point and select “Unmount Point”
13. Unmounting a recovery point typically takes a few seconds.
14. Once the Datto SIRIS has completed its operations to unmount the recovery point Firefox will automatically refresh the page for the listing of the Recovery Points