Fatal Data Recovery Problems with Incremental Backup
Data recovery problems with incremental backup arise in the backup chain
Does your organization backup your data? Do you have a disaster data recovery plan? If so, you are off to a great start. But when was the last time you tried to actually restore your backup? Or did a full DR data recovery test? Most organizations don’t backup their data, and fewer test their data recovery plan. And of those that do, find that their DR and data backup and data recovery plan fails. That’s why it is important to know about data recovery problems with incremental backup.
The most common problems with the traditional incremental backup arises in the backup chain. The traditional incremental backup chain is built with a full backup at the base of the chain. Each new backup is an incremental, and contains the changes between the last backup. The big problem with this scenario is that if one of the incremental backups fail or become corrupted, then the entire chain is lost. It is then necessary to start with an entirely new data backup chain (a full backup and then incremental backups). This requires an excessive (and wasteful) amount of local storage space, costly off-site storage space, and the bandwidth required to send the large quantities of data off-site.
Datto has revolutionized data backup technology and solved this problem with something Datto has trademarked, “Inverse Chain Technology”. This new approach converts each backup into a virtual machine each time a data backup occurs. The most recent backup image is always at the front of the data backup chain, and does not rely on past incremental backups to restore data. This allows data backups to be independent of each other and not reliant on other incrementals. So, if a failed or missed data backup happens, a full backup will not be required. And since each backup is a fully bootable virtual machine, there is no need for a timely conversion to occur before performing a restore.
• Inverse Chain Technology is the unique storage engine that Datto uses to store the data recovery points
• Inverse Chain Technology allows for data incremental backups to be generated that are not inter-dependent on each other data backup.
• Inverse Chain Technology allows Datto systems to instantly virtualize.
• Inverse Chain Technology allows you to delete points out of the data backup chain without corrupting future backup points.
• Inverse Chain Technology allows you to have a rolling retention policy.
• Inverse Chain Technology guarantees against corruption.