8 Absolutely Killer BCDR Tips for Startups
While startups are often narrowly focused on growth during their early stages, it’s critical for these businesses to plan for worst-case scenarios. The ideal approach to business continuity is to assume problems will eventually arise and prepare accordingly with the appropriate business continuity and disaster recovery solutions.
Choose the optimal backup systems and capabilities, and your startup will be able to eliminate the risk of data loss and move forward through the inevitable emergency without missing a beat.
After all, data loss or suspended operations due to a digital attack or other system flaw have the potential to significantly impede your startup’s progress. The worst-case scenario is a ransomware attack and/or massive data loss incident that causes your business to close before it has a chance to achieve its true potential.
Let’s take a look at some important BCDR tips for startups which they should consider when evaluating data backup options.
1) Choose Your Data Backup Carefully
Selecting a data backup system for your startup is of the utmost importance. Choose wisely and you will have an invaluable safety net that ensures your startup can continue operating after an unexpected data-loss event, rather than halting operations.
Malware, hardware failure, natural disasters and accidental deletion all pose a threat to your data. Invest some time developing a business continuity plan for your startup that details risks, goals for continuity and your strategy to back up your data.
- Your data backup system should conduct backups at a high frequency, providing ongoing availability so that the loss of data is significantly limited if you have to rollback to the most recent recovery point.
- Choose a data backup system that ensures you can rapidly restore the backup via a variety of methods, so that operations can continue no matter what the scale of the disaster.
2) Your Startup Needs Continuous Data Backup
Today’s data backups for startups can provide near-continuous backups.
This high-frequency data backup is important, as it ensures you can recover most, if not all, of your data when loss occurs. Even if your company is a small startup, a backup solution with enterprise-grade tech for business continuity and data recovery won’t zap your budget. For example, the Datto SIRIS can perform data backups as often as every 5 minutes, and yet it’s specifically designed for small- and medium-sized businesses, ensuring truly comprehensive, yet affordable, data protection.
- It’s true that most small businesses do not necessarily need to back up their data second-by-second – but your BC/DR system should absolutely be able to perform these backups with regularity.
- If your business creates or modifies a large amount of data, or handles sensitive data that requires ongoing protection, then a high back-up frequency is crucial.
3) Know Your Backups are Viable with Data Backup Verification
Automatic data backup verification provides the assurance that your backups can actually be restored without problem when they’re needed. Because of the high risk of data corruption with traditional incremental backups, this verification is an essential capability that startups and other businesses should look for in a BC/DR system.
The integrity of all of your backups should be verified. Automatic data backup verification tests backups to guarantee they can be restored without issue.
- If the backup is image-based, it should be test-booted in the form of a virtual machine to ensure full viability.
- If there are any problems, the administrator should be notified to take prompt action. Ideally, this process will occur automatically so you do not have to dedicate even more time and effort to your data.
4) Get the Added Safety of Off-Site Data Backup & Recovery
Off-site backups can provide an additional layer of protection for your data. This way, if there is a natural disaster or a fire at your startup’s headquarters and your on-site infrastructure is destroyed or inaccessible, you will have a means of recovering your data from another location.
Today’s BC/DR solutions for startups and other businesses should replicate on-site backups to the cloud, ideally with minimal strain on your servers or network. Though on-site data backup is typically faster and provides superior performance, there might come a time when you need to recover files from a secondary location.
- Off-site data backup recovery provides invaluable assurance that you will be able to access your backed-up data in a timely manner should a disaster occur at your primary location or data center.
- For added protection, look for BC/DR systems that allow you to virtualize the data backup in the cloud and/or on-site, so that you can rapidly regain access to your operating systems, applications and files in a virtual environment – even if you are far away from your startup’s headquarters.
5) Demand Data Backup Without Corruption
Can you imagine trying to restore your backed-up data only to find the information has been corrupted?
This issue is surprisingly common with conventional incremental data backups. The last thing you want is to have to reconstruct data from a series of sources such as storage tapes. BC/DR advancements have significantly increased data backup resilience, ensuring that protected machines can be rapidly recovered without corruption or other errors.
- For example, consider Datto’s Inverse Chain Technology, which stores data backups in a completely constructed manner. This approach ensures that backups are not dependent on the backup chain, where there is the potential for data integrity issues to arise in conventional incremental BC/DR systems.
- Furthermore, this approach also boosts data storage efficiency. This is the resilient data backup your startup needs to ensure that protected data is quickly backed up and quickly recoverable without issue.
6) Back up the Entire Infrastructure
Small, fast-growing startups sometimes make the mistake of relying on tools like Google Drive for data backup. This approach is problematic in a number of ways. Apps such as OneDrive and Google Drive are engineered with file sharing in mind, not business continuity. They do not protect your full data infrastructure, and worse yet, they don’t have a viable data recovery option aside from downloading all the files or restoring items from a trash bin (which are typically permanently deleted after a month or two).
Add in the fact that the local data synced up to the cloud is still vulnerable to ransomware and mistaken deletion, and you have even less reason to use these apps for backup.
- Opt for comprehensive and reliable business continuity with a data backup solution that safeguards the entirety of your infrastructure.
- This ensures that all your servers, application data, operating systems, computers and email are properly protected. Furthermore, recovering such data with virtualization technology can speed up recovery even more, allowing for instant access to protected services and devices.
7) Seek Additional Ransomware Protection
Startups are particularly susceptible to ransomware attacks, particularly if employees haven’t received cybersecurity training to educate them on how to spot phishing scams and other threats.
Ransomware attackers are well aware of the fact that startups often have minimal digital security resources. A lengthy outage has the potential to cripple a startup. As a result, startups are more likely to pay ransoms to eliminate the ransomware attack and return to business as usual. It is possible for infections to move in and wreak havoc across a network, even if malware prevention systems are in place. This is precisely why every business should have multiple layers of protection against digital threats, including backup systems designed to thwart cyberattacks. This added protection can help to identify signs of an infection in the backup, so the appropriate measures can be taken in a timely manner.
- Datto’s backup systems are designed to scan data backups for indications of ransomware and mass file changes, quickly alerting administrators as soon as an infection is pinpointed.
- This added protection ensures businesses can quickly respond to attacks before the infection moves laterally across a network to other computers and servers.
- With Datto, every data backup is scanned for ransomware by the BC/DR solution. After an infection is identified, administrators can promptly restore the most recent clean backup, essentially turning back time to before the attack occurred and eliminate the infection in the process.
8) Recover Data Quickly & Easily
After a data-loss incident, any delays in the recovery process can significantly disrupt operations (and skyrocket the costs of downtime). For an especially lengthy outage, the startup might end up folding. This is precisely why it is so important for startups to rely on disaster recovery and business continuity solutions that offer a wide range of recovery options for restoring data in a timely manner.
- Datto SIRIS and ALTO empower your startup to quickly restore protected servers in the form of virtual machines, in addition to a range of other recovery options, from file-level restores to full bare-metal restores.
- Robust recovery options ensure that you and your team can get right “back to business” after even the worst data-loss incidents.
With a dependable BC/DR solution, it might take only a few minutes for startups to restore their data and resume operations after a server outage or ransomware attack. This rapid data recovery can literally be the difference between a startup that survives a disaster and one that closes its doors for good.
Free Demo and more BCDR tips for startups
Take a closer look at today’s best BCDR solutions for startups and small- to mid-sized businesses. Request a free demo or speak to our business continuity experts at Invenio IT today. Call (646) 395-1170 or email success@invenioIT.com.