5 Big Things To Know About A Virtual Server Backup Strategy
Is it time to revisit your virtual server backup strategy?
A virtual server is a server that can be accessed by multiple users remotely. Virtual refers to the fact that the server is not a dedicated server that does nothing other than running the server software. Most virtual servers share resources with other virtual servers.
Switching to a virtual server makes your website or database easier to access and update and should facilitate collaboration. However, using a virtual server does not mean your data is safer, unless you implement the right backup strategy. Here are five things you should know about in order to develop an efficient backup strategy for your virtual server.
- Choose the right vendor. Many companies offer virtual servers, but you need to make sure you select a vendor who already has a backup strategy in place. Ideally, your vendor should provide 24/7 support and be able to restore data within a short time-frame.
- Choose the right backup tool. There is no cookie cutter approach when it comes to selecting a backup solution. If you run an online business, an entirely virtual tool is a good option. However, some businesses can benefit from a physical backup option such as a dedicated hard drive.
- Keep your data off-site. Ideally, your data should be backed up in more than one location so that you wouldn’t lose everything in the event of a disaster. Try finding a vendor who offers an off-site replication option.
- The main obstacle to backing up data is that creating copies of all your files can be time-consuming. Look for a vendor who offers a fast and reliable service and if possible automated features so that you do not have to manually back up your data.
- Look for a backup strategy that will remain relevant. Technology evolves quickly and the devices or file formats you use now might be obsolete in a couple of years for now. Choose a vendor who is dedicated to helping you stay up to date when it comes to backing up your data.
Invenio IT can help you put together the right Virtual Server Backup strategy to back up and easily access your data. You should contact us to learn more.