6 Can’t Be Missed Factors for Small Business Data Protection
Small business data protection needs made simple.
Small business is positioned for the perfect data storm: more data, at more value, with more risk. Small businesses are creating more data than ever, the value of their data is increasing and there are more risks of losing the data.
Their need for a robust backup and disaster recovery (BDR) solution has grown in importance, but they have distinctive challenges. Below are the top 6 criteria and respective considerations for small business data protection.
- Recoverability: In a disaster, a small business cannot afford lengthy downtime since most carry less than a month of operating cost in cash.
- Key Consideration: Does the solution have instant restore capability? Does it meet both recovery time and recovery point objectives?
- Comprehensiveness: Small businesses generally do not have a dedicated IT department that can manage separate backup, recovery and business continuity solutions.
- Key Consideration: Does the solution provide key functionality that is seamlessly integrated? Experts agree that a combination of on-premise and cloud-based services offer the best total protection for businesses of all sizes, especially small businesses.
- Ease of Use: Small business owners or the IT person don’t have time to learn or manage complexity.
- Key Consideration: Is the system easy to use, deploy and manage? Is it supported by a large network of MSP’s for added value?
- Performance and Reliability: A recent study shows that only 17 percent of SMBs feel secure and confident in their backup plan; while another 14 percent say they feel very insecure and vulnerable. Quicker and more frequent backups limit data loss for small business data protection.
- Key Consideration: An ideal solution is incremental backup, where the technology adds what you’ve changed or deleted, rather than backing up the entire volume of data repeatedly. Does your system do this?
- Affordability: Small business data protection has often been relegated to cheap (both in price and technology) backup solutions.
- Key Consideration: Is the solution cost-effective ad affordable with a small business’ budget in mind?
- Scalability: Small businesses grow into larger businesses.
- Key Consideration: Does the solution not only meet your data backup needs today, but can it scale as your company grows?
When considering small business data protection, it can be overwhelming since there are so many options. However, this list will help weed out the sub-par solutions. Click if you would like to learn more about small business data protection.