Protecting Mac OS X systems with Datto SIRIS in 3 easy steps
Step-by-Step: Protecting Mac OS X systems with Datto SIRIS
This blog post contains steps to use a Datto SIRIS device to store Mac Time Machine backup data. Protecting Mac OS X systems with Datto SIRIS can be easy with these simple steps.
A Mac running OS X 10.5 “Leopard” or newer.
A Datto SIRIS device running Datto OS 2.5 or newer.
1. From the Local Siris Web Console click on the NAS tab
Example: NAS tab located on local Datto Siris Web Console
2. From the NAS page create a Share Name and click Create Share
Example: Creating a new share
3. Once a Share has been created select Add User to Share.
Example: “Add User to Share” Button
4. From the dropdown box select a user (these are defined from on the Admin tab).
5. Once a user has been selected then check the check box entitled “Add as admin” .
6. Finalize this step by clicking the button entitled “Add user to share”.
Example: Adding a user to the Share.
7. Click link to “Enable AFP/TimeMachine Support”
Example: Enabling AFP/TimeMachine Support
The Local Datto SIRIS Web Console’s configuration is now ready to receive Time Machine backups.
On the Apple Device
Start Time Machine by:
1. Choose From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
2. From the View menu, choose Time Machine.
Example: Time Machine Shortcut
Example: Time Machine
3. Then Select the finder button, click Go, then click Connect to Server
4. Enter the Server Address in this format: aftp://IPofLocalDatto/shareName/ and select the “Connect” button.
Example: Connecting Time Machine to the Datto Siris’s AFP Share.
- Click “Select Backup Disk”.
- Choose a disk where backups will be stored, then click “Use for Backup.”
There you have it. A step by step tutorial for protecting Mac OS X systems with a Datto SIRIS. If you need additional assistance, check out this video or contact us today. At Invenio IT, we specialize in Datto technology and have only Datto Certified Advanced Technicians on staff to answer your questions.