Do you know the best practices for Datto SIRIS?
The best practices for Datto SIRIS revealed.
We’ve compiled a Datto SIRIS Best Practices based on our experience installing, implementing and supporting Datto SIRIS products for our clients. That said, please be sure to contact your service provider, Datto or Invenio IT before making any changes to your systems.
Here are 8 best practices for Datto SIRIS device.
1) Ensure the total protected data set does not exceed 50% of the total device size of the Datto SIRIS. For example, if you have a 2TB Datto SIRIS device, try to limit the total protected data set to 1TB or less. Adjusting your data retention policy under basic options may help manage available space on the device.
2) Prior to setting up the ShadowSnap agent on the server, proper pre-install prepping of the servers is extremely important. Be sure to remove any backup software on the servers, perform a disk defrag on each volume on each server, and perform a checkdisk (chkdsk /f /r). It is likely each server will be restarted a few times during the setup process, so plan accordingly.
3) Protect machines using their IP address if it is a static IP. If not, use their Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN).
4) Setup the backup schedule to run during protection hours when changes are being made to protected machines. If you schedule backups in the middle of the night when no changes are being made to the protected machines (such as a terminal server), then those backups contain no new information.
5) We generally find for most clients an appropriate retention policy is 2 days, 2 weeks and 31 days. Depending upon the size of your Datto device and your organizational requirements you can adjust accordingly. You can setup each server separately or apply to apply to all servers.
6) By default all volumes are backed up. It is a good idea to confirm that you want all volumes backed up, otherwise adjust accordingly under the Advanced tab. We’ve seen instances where external drives have been connected to the protected machine that clients didn’t want backed up.
7) We recommend using a public DNS server as the first option, and then your internal server’s DNS server second. This helps take out one element out of the question if there is an issue.
8) By default the Datto SIRIS device will use as much bandwidth as possible unless you add limits. We generally recommend setting two schedules, 50% during business hours and 75-95% during night hours. It’s very important that the data gets offsite so it’s current.
Invenio IT is an elite Datto partner with an advanced Datto-certified technical staff. Contact us for more of our helpful hints and best practices for Datto SIRIS.