Basic options on the Datto SIRIS Agents Tab are Impressive
The Datto SIRIS Agents Tab – Get to know the Basic Options
Today, we will review everything you have ever wanted to know about the Datto SIRIS Agents Tab: Basic Options. . .and more!
|Example: Datto SIRIS Menu Bar, Agents Tab selected|
|Example: Datto SIRIS Lite™ Menu Bar, Agents Tab selected|
|Example: Datto SIRIS Basic Options|
|Example: Basic Options Page|
This option sets how often a backup is performed during the hours backups are scheduled to run.
Note: Available intervals are 5, 10, 15, 30, & 60 minutes with 60 minutes as default.
If this value is changed to 30 minutes & backups are scheduled from 9AM-5PM for “Backup Schedule” then 16 backups will be performed.
Offsite Backup Interval
(For Datto SIRIS™ & SIRIS Lite™ device’s using the Datto Speed Sync Method)
Note: The default configuration is set for all recovery points to sync with the Datto Cloud; this option can be used to set how often recovery points will sync.
Recovery Points can be assigned weighted levels from 1 to 5 so that individual protected machine’s synchronization with the Datto Cloud can be prioritized with each other.
|Priority Level #||Priority|
|Example: Configuring Datto Speed Sync Offsite Backup Interval Settings|
Sets which hours and days to run backups, also allows scheduling of intervals greater than one hour. Default setting is Monday-Friday 8AM to 6PM.
Tip: To add or remove a row of days or column of hours, click the column or row headers to instantly select or select that set.
|Example: Selecting the Row Heading “8” will check 8PM for every day.|
Manages retention policy for each protected machine.
Note: Changes made to the Backup Retention will be applied during the completion of the next successful backup for this ShadowSnap™ Agent.
Retention is done on a rolling timestamp basis ex. with 5 days of intra-dailies being stored, the snapshot that is over 120hrs old (over 5 days) will then be deleted after the next subsequent snapshot.
|Example: Datto Recommended Backup Retention|
Backup Engine Options
Application Aware VSS w/ STC fallback
- The Datto will attempt to first do a Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider VSS backup (Application Aware VSS).
- If this fails then it will attempt a crash consistent state backup using the Storage Craft VSS Provider (STC).
STC Backup Engine
- The Datto will attempt to only do a STC backup.
Application Aware VSS
- The Datto will attempt to only do a VSS backup.
Application Aware VSS & STC Backup Engine
- Application Aware VSS refers to the use of the Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider. This VSS Provider interacts with supported applications to provide backups as the the applications are running.
- Unlike the Microsoft Shadow Copy Provider, the backup provided by the STC Backup Engine is not application-aware as it simply provides a backup equal to that of a crash-consistent state.
- A crash-consistent state backup can be compared to the state that the system will be in directly after a hard reboot, such that data in processing may not be saved properly.
Secure File Restore & Export
- Ensures that while Recovery Point File Restores & VMDK/VHD exports are mounted on the Datto SIRIS™ or SIRIS Lite™ that they are not accessible to anyone else on the local network.
- The dropdown box lists available users that can be set to have access credentials for the share when data is being mounted on the Datto SIRIS™ or SIRIS Lite™. Users are added through the Admin tab of the SIRIS or SIRIS Lite™ Web Console.
Note: By default this option is set to disabled which means that the Recovery Points will be shared on the network but will not be browsable if someone browses the Datto, ie: \\DattoHostname\
|Example: Secure File Restore & Export|
We hope this was helpful in understanding the basic options of the Datto SIRIS Agents Tab. Should you need any further assistance, please contact us directly.