The new Datto SIRIS 3 Specs are mind-blowing (updated)
Datto SIRIS 3 specs and everything else you want to know about the latest in business continuity.
The Datto SIRIS platform is truly the industry benchmark for business continuity and disaster recovery. Since it launched in 2011, Datto has committed to unveiling new technologies at each major release and the Datto SIRIS 3 specs will surely impress you.
The original SIRIS device broke the mold—introducing the Inverse Chain technology that guarantees a full backup to restore at every point, Instant Virtualization that allows for insanely fast restore times as well as the patented Screenshot Verification process that confirms a backup is valid.
However, Datto didn’t stop there. They continued to build on success and the SIRIS was reborn in 2013 with the release of encrypted agents, time-based retention and SSD caching, further improving performance, long-term retention and security.
Now, what is left for the Datto SIRIS 3? A lot. Somehow, Datto has made the SIRIS 3 the biggest, most exciting update yet.
Here is what you need to know as well as the Datto SIRIS 3 specs:
- The SIRIS 3 is the great unifier. It’s technology that brings in different platforms and delivery mechanisms. It is a product family that consists of: the appliance, the virtual and the re-imaged devices. So, whatever your business’ needs or unique challenges, the SIRIS 3 can be implemented within the environment, the way you need it. The motto of the SIRIS 3 is that it runs anywhere, protects anything and restores anytime.
- Impressive software and OS upgrades.The SIRIS 3 moves from Cherokee to Apache Web Services. In addition, Datto upgraded the PHP infrastructure as well as the operating system from Ubantu 12.04 to 16.04 for greater security and reliability. The hypervisor has also been swapped out from VirtualBox to KVM, which allows more flexibility as well as increased and better performance of the Instant Virtualization What’s more, the Bare Metal Restore (or BMR) process has been upgraded and streamlined. It now boasts a higher success rate and be more compatible with separate hardware.
- The first solution to offer ransomware protection detection. The SIRIS 3 device actively monitors backups–and when a ransomware footprint is detected, it notifies admins that they have a likely ransomware attack on their hands. From there, recovery is simply a matter of restoring from a previous backup.
- Cloud Storage to Infinity. Infinite Cloud Retention or ICR allows customers to save data in the Datto Cloud indefinitely, regardless of capacity used.
- Long list of exciting, new features. The Datto SIRIS 3 includes some impressive improvements. Here are some of the most notable:
- Datto Agent for Mac: which is a true image-based solution with file-restore and BMR capabilities. This is in beta now—very exciting stuff!
- Linux Screenshot Verification: there’s now a wide variety of Linux operating systems that is supported and it is growing-every-single-week.
- Datto NAS capabilities: you can get versioning locally as well as replication offsite for NAS shares over many different protocols, but also iSCSI targets for secondary storage.
- Diskless Restore: this bundles into next generation of BMR. It is a new method of performing a virtualization of a system backed up to a SIRIS. Instead of virtualizing a recovery point directly from the Datto appliance, you can virtualize on any target hardware capable of booting from a USB stick. The imaged USB stick uses iPXE on the network card of the local machine to boot, and then virtualizes the recovery point from the SIRIS.
- Agentless Backup: while agent-based backups offer many advantages, in certain environments, agentless backups may be a better option. Now Datto SIRIS 3 offers both—the choice is up to you.
- Improved IPMI: this enables remote capabilities on all devices, large and small. In just a few quick steps you can control power, monitor system health, and add virtual media such as CD, DVD ROM, floppy disk images.
- Enhanced feature set: there is now Hybrid Virtualization, VMware ESX virtualization as well as a direct ESX upload and export tool that have been added to physical solution.
- And, the list continues: there is now RDP and VNC for VMs as well as offsite job status reports available so you can see where you stand on your synchronization. And let’s not forget, there’s broader imaged hardware support and a simplified user interface. There are also 4 new hardware options, including: the all-flash 2 TB S3X2, as well new 80, 100 and 120 TB enterprise devices.It’s undeniable the Datto SIRIS 3 is the new standard in business continuity. The majority of these features are available now, with a few rolling out this fall. You need to check out the latest technology from Datto for yourself. Just click here to arrange for a demo of the new Datto SIRIS 3. Or, if you’re looking for a complete list of Datto SIRIS 3 specs, you can get that here.