Data Safe with Technology (Discs and Gadgets are Temporary)
Keeping Data Safe
When the first business went online several decades ago, they had a backup plan to keep data safe. This was workable for them: create a document, print it out and place the hard copy in a physical file cabinet with a lock. That was then, this is now.
Begin by understanding the data that needs protection or preservation and separate critical data from casual information. Know what you want to do before you make any plans to do it. The best storage discs, gadgets or gizmos are only temporary.
To keep data safe consider these procedures:
• Backup data regularly and keep a copy on a physical device at an offsite location.
• Organize your archives by storing audio, video and photographs on independent media that is most appropriate for each type.
• Store archives in a cool, dry location because temperature and humidity shifts shorten storage lifespans.
• Make regular backups of social media activity and store that data safely with other archived data files.
• Break current file extensions and save documents with generic extensions or as PDFs, especially if preserving them for future generations.
When data is worth the effort, the time to begin protecting it is now. It will not archive itself. Keeping your data safe is a task that only you can do.
Avoid Data Loss
Any process that prevents data from unauthorized access is a solution worth consideration. Intellectual property, corporate information and customer data are examples of propriety data worthy of protection. Business privacy and that of customers or clients depends upon it.
These are a few steps to help keep your data safe:
• Analyze the potential risks before you consider purchasing or investing. Know your weak points, the data that you have and what you would encounter if a loss were to occur.
• Set up levels of access and assign passwords to the data at each level.
• Disable USB ports and secure mobile devices so that you are able to monitor their use.
• Make sure staff knows what to do with important, confidential business information. If loss could cause irreparable damage to your business, consider purchasing an offsite Data Loss Prevention program.
Free Demo Available
These steps will bring you peace of mind, protect your business and secure important information. Our specialty is keeping data safe and we will happily explain further when you contact us for more information. For the best methods to keep data safe, book a free demonstration of the total protection solutions we offer.