5 Things to Know when Data Archiving for Storage & Security
What you need to know about data archiving
Data archiving is the process that involves retaining data for long-term storage. You do it to secure and store information in compliance with federal regulations and facilitate internal business requirements. Below is a list of what everyone needs to know about data archiving.
1. Storage Medium: Choose a type of media that will last as long as your retention policy. Optical storage media lasts indefinitely.
2. Storage Device: Select a storage device that will be accessible in a few years.
3. Selective Archiving: Consider what should be archived. Not all data is of equal importance.
4. Retrieval Method: You need an efficient way to retrieve data from archives if the need arises.
5. Data archiving software is the best and easiest way to manage your archiving requirements, target files you no longer use and put them in storage.
Data archiving is beneficial in the following ways:
- The process involves analyzing, classifying and indexing your data
- It identifies and removes duplicate data
- It controls backup times
- It allows you to view your files by server, owner, size and type
- It provides protection from accidental deletion
- It allows for server consolidation
In today’s information technology world, data availability is a necessity. Moving data that is not critical from primary to archive storage can reduce costs. Once it is archived, it is removed from the regular daily backup cycle. An enterprise archive system can dispose of your data once it has reached the end of its useful life.
Click for more information on data archiving for your business. At Invenio IT, we specialize in backup and recovery and we’re here and ready to help.